Alumni Row - October 29, 2011
Alumni are invited to row on October 29, 2011 at noon. Rowers, parents, and friends are invited to attend the event.
Alexandria Waterfront Cleanup - October 15, 2011
A waterfront cleanup is scheduled on October 15, 2011, 9-11 AM at Oronoco Park. This is in combination with the International Coastal Clean-up. Rowers, parents, and friends are invited to to help.
The fall season of ODBC Girls Crew began this past weekend with a
strong showing at the Head of the Potomac Regatta. Kate Banchoff,
a Senior at TC Williams High School in Alexandria, stroked the ODBC
women’s youth eight through the first head race of the year as Lauren
Soriente, Senior at West Potomac High School, served as coxswain the
other rowers were Alexandra Lemke, Nadia Magallon, Katie Pickup,
Gabriella Salcedo, Emily Breeding, Kate Arnold, and Allyson Emblom . In
a field of sixteen boats, the experienced crew of eight demonstrated a
promising ability to maintain focus over the course of the head race
distance. ODBC also fielded a strong women’s youth four at
the regatta, a less typical entry for the club but one that will become
an integral part of the fall season. Kalie Benjamin, Caroline
Olsson, Chloe Reynolds, and Paige Mellerio were coxed by Maddy Stone
through their solid 6th place performance in their first head race in
that event. The women’s team is now preparing for the Occoquan
Challenge which will be held on October 9, 2011, at Sandy Run Regional
Old Dominion Boat Club Men's Team started off their season this past weekend at the Head of the Potomac Regatta on the Potomac River in Washington, DC. The Youth Mens 8, with Mark Comey, Madison Weitekamp, Chris Porter, Greg Montenegro, Dru Hodgens, Sam Hanuora, Chris Dobson, Sam Zickar, and Chris Kidd, put in a strong showing, coming in 8th out of close to 20 competitors. The Youth Mens 4, with Emily Kubik, Madison Weitekamp, Chris Porter, Greg Montenegro, and Chris Kidd, placed 2nd in a smaller but very competitive field. The Head of the Potomac gave ODBC a chance to glimpse our primary competition in the weeks to come and was a great way to kick off our fall racing season. ODBC will race next at the Occoquan Challenge on October 9th at Sandy Run Regional Park.
Old Dominion Boat Club, over 30 athletes strong, had a very successful 2011 summer racing season, with multiple appearances in the semi-finals, finals, and on the medals dock in the Independence Day Regatta in Philadelphia, PA, Capital Sprints in Washington, D.C., and Club Nationals in Indianapolis, IN.
ODBC kicked off its summer racing season at the Independence Day Regatta in Philadelphia over the 4th of July weekend. ODBC won the Mens Junior 4+ event, beating Penn AC, Mobjack, Fairmount, and Cooper TC. The two ODBC Junior Mens 8s both advanced to the semi-finals, with the Junior 8 A boat placing 5th in the final. ODBC, with its first squad of intermediate athletes, came in 4th in the semi-final of the Intermediate Mens 4+. At Capital Sprints in Washington, D.C., our only local race of the summer, ODBC won handily both Open Mens 4+ flights.
Club Nationals, in Indianapolis, IN., and capped off our summer racing season with strong finishes across the squad. ODBC continued its dominance in the Mens Junior 4+ event, winning the final over Penn AC, the US Junior Men, TBC, and CRI. The ODBC Mens Junior 8+ placed 3rd in the semi-final, advancing to the final, where, in one of the closest races of the day, came in 2nd ahead of CRI and Penn AC and behind Seattle Area Rowing. The ODBC Intermediates put on another strong showing in Indianapolis, with 5th place finishes in both the Mens Intermediate 4+ and Intermediate 8+. ODBC is looking forward to a fast and successful fall season.
Letters, certificates, and special awards were handed out at the Dee Campbell Rowing Center at the end of the year ceremony on June 10.
- Girls Varsity MVP -- Emily Leidolf
- Girls Coaches Award -- Emma Carlisle-Reske
- Outstanding Girls Coxswain -- Rachel Blumenstein
- Outstanding Girls Lightweight Rower -- Nadia Magallon
- Old Dominion Boat Club Outstanding Oarswoman -- Nora Willkomm
- Girls JV MVP -- Nadia Magallon
- Girls Freshman MVP – Katie Pickup
- Boys Varsity MVP -- Allie Zickar
- Boys Coaches Award -- Constantine Ivanis
- Outstanding Boys Coxswain -- Brian Comey
- Outstanding Boys Lightweight Rower -- Cody Brooks
- Old Dominion Boat Club Outstanding Oarsmen --Jeff Coan
- Boys JV MVP -- Ben Blakeslee
- Boys Freshman MVP -- Sam Zickar
On June 13, 2011, AlexandriaNews.org posted an article about TC Williams Crew's 2011 Award Ceremony. It listed this year's award-winners and major team accomplishments.
On June 8, 2011, The Washington Post released the list of 2011 Spring All-Met Athletes and Teams, including Boys' Rowing and Girls' Rowing. Below is the list of mentioned TC Williams athletes and boats:
- Girls' Rowing First Team: Emily Leidolf
- Best Boat in the Boys' First 4 Category
- Best Boat in the Girls's Second 8 Category
- Boys' Rowing Honorable Mention to Jeff Coan
- Boys' Rowing Honorable Mention for Coxwain to Allie Zickar
- Girls' Rowing Honorable Mention to Emma Carlisle-Reske
HUGE congratulations to Emily Leidolf for being one of eleven girls given the top honor, and to Emma Carlisle-Reske, Jeff Coan and Allie Zickar for being named Honorable Mention!
- 11 boats competed: Sr. Men Double, Jr. Women 8, Sr. Men 4, Jr. Men 4, Sr. Women 63Kg 4, Sr. Women 8, Sr. Men 72 Kg 8, Sr. Women Quad, Sr. Woman Pair, Sr. Woman 63Kg Single, Sr. Men 72 Kg Pair
- 5 boats qualified from the Heats to Semi-Finals: Jr. Women 8, Sr. Men 4, Jr. Men 4, Sr. Women 63Kg 4, Sr. Women 8
- 2 boats directly qualified from the Heats to the Finals: Sr. Men 72 Kg 8, Sr. Woman Pair
- 3 additional boats qualified from the Semi-Finals to the Finals: Jr. Women 8, Sr. Women 63Kg 4, Sr. Women 8
- 2 boats medaled: Jr. Women 8 won Silver, Sr. Woman Pair won Bronze
SRAA National Championships by the numbers
- 6 boats competed: Boys 1st 4, Boys Lightweight 8, Boys Freshman 8, Girls 1st 8, Girls 2nd 8, Girls Freshman 8
- 4 boats qualified for the semi-finals: Boys 1st 4, Boys Lightweight 8, Girls 1st 8, Girls 2nd 8
- 2 boats reached the finals: Girls 1st 8, Girls 2nd 8
- 1 boat medaled: Girls 2nd 8 won Bronze
Girls 2nd 8 wins gold medal at the 2011 Stotesbury Cup ahead of James Madison and Winter Park. Stotesbury Cup is the largest high school regatta in the nation with over 5000 athletes competing in different events.
Girls 1st 8 finished 5th in their respective final after an impressive 2nd place in their semi-final.
Boys Lightweight 8 finishes 5th in the semi, frustrated that a steering cable broke during the race.
- More photos courtesy of Coach Azim on Flikr.
- Gold Medal Ceremony Video on YouTube.
- Girls 2nd 8 Final Video on YouTube.
- Photo Finish for the Girls 2nd 8 Final
- In the News on AlexandriaNews.org website.
All TC Williams Crew semi-finals and Finals coming shortly.
Youth and Adult Summer Crew is starting soon:
The registration date is June 25 with a practice start date of Mon June 27. Blue Plains Springs will be on Sat Aug 06.
For more information check our program page.
Several boats are competing this weekend in Philadelphia in the Stotesbury Cup, the largest High School Regatta in the country. Below is the schedule and the progression of TC Williams Crew.- Results
Boys Freshman 8
Girls' Freshman 8
Girls' Junior 4
Boys' Lightweight 8
|9th - Advances to Semi||
5th in Heat
Girls' Second 8
|4th - Advances to Semi||
1st in Heat
Boys' Senior 4
Girls' Senior 8
|5th - Advances to Semi||
2nd in Heat
TC Williams Crew had great results at Occoquan on May 7 and 14 for the Virginia Scholastic Rowing Championship and the Ted Phoenix Regatta. Below are the teams that medaled:
- 1st Place: Boys 1st 4
- 1st Place: Boys 2nd 4
- 1st Place: Girls 3rd 8
- 1st Place: Girls 4th 8
- 2nd Place: Girls 1st 8
- 2nd Place: Girls 2nd 8
- 2nd Place: Boys 3rd 4
- 2nd Place: Girls 5th 8
- 3rd Place: Boys Ltwt 8
- 3rd Place: Boys Frosh 8
Saturday, June 11th at the Minnie Howard lower parking lot
More Alumni News - May 3, 2011
At the New England Championships in Worcester, MA on 4/30, two alumns
from the class of '09:
Blair Shipp coxes the University of New Hampshire mens' 2nd varsity 4 to gold. Ian Waterhouse Terrell coxes the Trinity mens' 2nd varsity 8 to silver.
TCW 2010 Alums medal at SIRA - Matt Schilling rowing 7th seat in the UVA men's Novice 8 takes gold and Kim Poff coxed University of Tulsa's women's Novice 8 to bronze behind Kansas State (1) and Purdue (2) but ahead of University of Tennessee....both teams had multiple boats medal...
You didn't receive the latest information about volunteering, the program, the rowers, or regattas? You can check the archives of messages sent on the hotlines page.
We invited you to join in the fun. Daniela Spigai and Ellen Pattisall would love for you to meet with us at Martha Blakeslee's home (810 Clovercrest Drive, Alexandria, 22314) on Monday, March 7th at 7 pm to help us divide and conquer this BBQ & BG event. Remember that "many hands make light work" so please consider doing even one small thing toward this effort. If you would like to help but can't make it to the meeting, please let us know and we'll still let you join in the fun!
You are all invited on March 19, 2011 -10:30 AM at the Dee Campbell
Rowing Center, Alexandria, VA
This year's Mid-Atlantic Erg Sprints was a huge success.
- Online registration was up more than 25% over 2010 and 2009
- We had 1367 finishers who rowed 1738 miles (2,797,791 meters) in 100 different events
- High School (Junior) rowers made up about 70% of the number
- UVA Men’s Rowing sent 45 team members
- Capital Rowing’s Adaptive program had 9 members row (contact Patrick Johnson, Adaptive Director for more info: 202-744-6725)
There are 21 official qualifying, “Satellite Regattas” for the CRASH-B
championships. Some of the larger ones are in Atlanta, Baltimore,
Denver, Indianapolis, Melbourne FL, and San Diego. The MidAtlantic Erg
Sprints is the largest. Complete list at
Three rowers qualified for the World Indoor Rowing Championships (a.k.a. The CRASH-B Sprints) in Boston on February 20, 2011:
Robert Spousta, Fairfax, Occoquan Boat Club
Paul Siebach, Oakton, Northern Virginia Rowing Club
Matt Miller, Charlottesville, University Of Virginia
More info on the CRASH-B Sprints at www.crash-b.org.
T.C. Williams Crew will host an information session for parents and perspective rowers on Thursday, January 27 from 6:30 PM to 7:00 PM in the T.C. Williams Cafeteria. Parents of 8th-12th grade students are encouraged to attend so they can meet coaches, hear information about the program, and receive forms required for rowing in the spring.
Parents or perspective rowers who are unable to attend the information session may contact Coach Matthew Holland, email@example.com, for T.C. Williams Crew information or check online at www.tcwcrew.org.
2011 Crew Season Sign-up for Novices and Returning Athletes
Rowers and parents, the 2011 crew season is starting soon. To sign-up, you will need to get physical and participation forms and eligability cards (available a week or two before the start of the season) completed before the first day of the season.
For more information read the sign-up page.
- Thurs, February 17, 2011, 4:30 PM: Returning girls registration (Girls Only) at the boathouse.
- Fri, February 18, 2011, 4:30 PM: Returning boys registration (Boys Only) at the boathouse.
- Sat, February 19, 2011 8:00-10:00 AM: New novice registration at the boathouse.
- Sat, February 19, 2011 10:00-11:00 AM: Novice parent orientation at the boathouse.
- Sat, February 19, 2011 1:00 PM: Swim test for all crews, all coaches at Chinquaapin Recreation Center.
Alexandria Crew Boosters announces that Mercedes Kiss has been named head coach for the T.C. Williams Girls Crew. Ms. Kiss has won numerous gold medals both as a rower and a coach for T.C. Williams Girls Crew.
On Nov. 15, 2010, Alexandria Times reported: "Emily Leidolf, a member of the Titan crew team, signed a letter of intent today to row at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The 17-year-old will receive a partial scholarship ."
read the article at http://www.alexandrianews.org/2010/11/titan-becomes-tarheel/
check the picture: http://www.alexandrianews.org/2010/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Leidolf.jpg
More details on the Crew Closet page.
September Crew Boosters Board Meeting
Start: Friday, September 23, 2011
Time: 7:30 PM
Location: Dee Campbell Rowing Center (Boathouse), Alexandria, VA
Start: November 15, 2010
Time: Mon-Thur, 4:15 PM - 6:00 PM
Contact info: Patrick Marquardt